Thursday, February 3, 2011

Angels

Good Afternoon Everyone! I just wanted to share with everyone one of the resolutions I made at the beginning of the year and to talk about the progress I have made. First the resolution, I vowed to become more knowledgeable about all things postal, meaning:  I would be less clueless as to how to ship all of my art and the swaps that I mail. Seriously folks I knew there needed to be some kind of intervention when the postal workers at the counter would lean over and whisper and point when they saw me coming!  Does anybody know that there are like 62 different way that you can mail one package of 6- 5x6 painted card board angels???? I don't know why all the questions they ask are so perplexing to me;  insurance? confirmation? two day seven day or whenever delivery? media, priority, first class???????? Then I have the hostess's of the swaps tell me I could have sent it this way or that  and saved a few dollars?? I'm starting to feel like I might need a diploma from MIT! lol So.... the progress, well when I went to the post office this time (yes they pointed and whispered) I had already decided that I didn't want insurance or for them to confirm the delivery! but I did still need to find out how much the box I chose would cost so I could include the money in the box for the hostess to return my goodies and that's when it all fell apart you see I had planned on sending it priority (thinking that was the cheapest) so I said "priority, that's the cheapest right?" and she says "noooow" (stressing the sarcastic over pronounced w on the end), and began to rattle off all the different cheaper ways to send my little box. Confused, I looked at her and said in my most faker-I-understood-all-that tone of voice, "oh okay, well just send them the cheapest way there is!" and then she rolled her eyes at me like I was annoying her and that's when it happened.........in my rush to not hold up the growing line I hit the box (which was still waiting to be taped shut) and all the pretties fell out on the floor, well you would have thought that everyone in the line had been holding their breath because all  I heard was a big collective sarcastic sigh???? But thankfully I managed to get them back in the box and all taped up pretty quick and not with out lots of evil eyes following me out of the post office I might add!! So if I had to tell ya when it's going to arrive.....well, I cant because I guess cheap mean slow at the post office and I was informed that "the post office doesn't guarantee delivery because I didn't pay for that!!!! SHEESH, my postal rehabilitation is happening rather slowly (probably due to the fact that I just don't care how much things cost to ship, or maybe because I don't care how they get there, as long as they get there!!) Okay enough about the postal system.....The angels are roughly 5x6ish constructed of cardboard, vintage text, sheet music, paper flowers, paint, ink, feathers, and vintage photos. They are for an angel swap I am doing with CPA yahoo group.




5 comments:

  1. Wow! I love your creations. They're awesome! I'm so glad I found your blog on the OWOH and now I can drop in and say hi whenever I want. so HI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well........guess what "my pretty"!!! They arrived at my house (hostess) TODAY. They got to Texas in ONE DAY! What is the world coming to? and....I'm in love with them....I want to keep them all.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. First . . . your angels are spectacular! Second . . . I, too, have had my (shall we say) "Dealings" with our local post office. I feel your pain!!! Take heart in the fact that your swap partners will be thrilled when they receive your work!!! Hugs, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story makes me feel less alone! Here's another thing I learned recently...in an attempt to be more green I re-used a box something had been shipped to me in because it was the perfect size. Unbeknownst to me, it was a Priority Box which cannot be shipped as anything but Priority and the cost to send a little 12" feather weight doll would have been $21.00!!! Are you crazy?! Lesson: When re-using a box, cover any markings with tape BEFORE you take it into the post office and they don't know that it's a Priority box. The sad thing is my grandpa had sent me something in the box and I bet he accidentally picked it up off the shelf not realizing how ridiculously expensive it would be and probably almost fell over when they told him the price...but paid it anyway :(

    Okay this is getting long, but another thing, sometimes I wish those know it all postal workers had to come into my office sometime and just figure out what was going on with no instructions...I'd love to roll my eyes right back at them like they're idiots for once :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are 'angels' and knew how to get there ~ Don't let the 'postals' get to you ~ God's (Spirit's) hand is there & postals are public servants with attitude ~ Keep it simple ~ we all need reminders ~ Great venting! Wishing you the best in the day ~ hugs and namaste, cz:)

    ReplyDelete