Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Giving

Thanksgiving is the sum of two words, Thanks and giving. and yes we should give thanks always, but ears fall on thanks only when Thanksgiving is spoken of. 
More than ever this heart hears Giving and is convicted by my own blessings these days
coveted blessings that I say thanks for and grip tightly against my chest like some life preserver
and it occurs to me that I am to say thanks for those blessings which are to be Temporarily, loosely held in my hands and then Given away.
Not just as works but as works that show my faith in a King who is rich in blessings that were not  meant to be spent on myself but on others. Its the upside down Kingdom in action again, Blessed to be a blessing to others, we get only to give, We give to receive what we can not see but will know deep within, humbling myself so that in time he can and will exalt me, not for the sake of giving but for doing the work of the kingdom for the  blessing of another .
I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive
How my heart breaks to look outside myself into a world that He died to save, and seeing so many dieing to be saved, the greed in my own heart as I cherish his Bread but forget to share that Bread with those who are poor.
oh that I would learn better to clutch more tightly to my heart his sacrifice, his desires, and let their hunger pierce my own desperation to be filled so that I myself might know what hunger really is, that I would finally understand that he has compassion for the poor, the poor in spirit, in body and in mind. 

He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: 1 Sa 2:8
and
Job 34:28 to cause the cry of the poor to come to Him. For He hears the cry of the afflicted.

"Man exalts wealth, but the love of wealth, "the root of all evil," is "an abomination in the sight of God."


The gift giver is asking for gifts and he whispers gently to me the things he wants -
Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Psalm 82:3, Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. Jas 1:27






Praying that during this season of harvests, abundance, and giving thanks, that I, you, many, would remember to Give away the blessings we have received, to know His desires, to feed those who hunger both in spirit and in body.
You can do that here: Samaritans Purse  or Gospel for Asia 

 
 It is more blessed to give than to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment