Monday, May 24, 2010

Beyond Reason

Batter my heart, three-person'd God ; for you
As yet but knock ; breathe, shine, and seek to mend ;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy ;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me. -John Donne, Sonnet 14
 No matter the persona language or interpretation the heart cries out to God
Irrational as it may seem there is no resolve for the heart when it desires an overwhelming encounter with the Living God
and the tension of a faith that is faltering in it's temptations must always be imprisoned by God himself in order to be free to love Him
love Him not by our own reason but by our heart that has been ravished by His love
love Him with a heart that reaches beyond what reason knows and intellect is futile to define
a heart desperate to find and be enthralled by it's maker

Thankful for
a God who captivates, enthralls, and ravishes my sin sick soul
a God who wraps me in the warmth of sun by day and blanket of stars by night
cessation of school
 support of the brethren
chore list with more than two items checked off
mended fences in yard and relationships

  

1 comment:

  1. What a WONDERFUL post. I am so inspired by those words. God bless you always.

    -shan

    ReplyDelete