Friday, October 31, 2008

Guiding step by step!



It was late, after eleven o’clock, the soft chatter of some sci-fi space movie droned in my ears. I couldn’t sleep because I felt the Holy Spirit calling me to pray, but I didn’t know about what or for who and so I get on my face and I paniced there on my knees in the stillness of the night, listening and waiting for God’s voice to lead me. All I could here was a 1950’s UFO laser sound and that warbling space ship sound softly, well, warbling in the stillness!
Then a mans voice (no it was not the audible voice of God! LOL) although I do believe God was using this medium to speak to me in my unrest!! It said, in answer to a knock on the door, “it’s me.” And so in response to that I agreed with God that it was me who needed prayer! For months, oh heck, years I have agonized over something that the Lord has called me to do and recently have actually began to do it. It is really “alien” to me (pardon the pun!), this thing he’s ask me to do. Very unlike the world I’ve known up till now, like in this space movie a whole nether world in which I have not been to before. I find myself trying to dock my space pod on a seemingly invisible or rather foreign runway, hoping to get it right. Not knowing the next place you are supposed to go or the next direction you should take can be wildly unnerving. But in my time of prayer and study this week I discover that it really is more simple that I think. God has given me his Spirit and His manifest presence just as he gave it to Israel in Numbers. Today he may not be as visible to the naked eye as was the cloud or pillar of fire back then but I can feel Him in me I can hear Him as I live, and move, and have my being in Him (acts 17:28). I read in Numbers 9:17-23 “And whenever the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, then after that the sons of Israel pulled up stakes; and in the place where the cloud abode, there the sons of Israel encamped.
By the mouth of Jehovah the sons of Israel pulled up stakes; and by the mouth of Jehovah they encamped. All the days that the cloud remained over the tabernacle, they remained in camp.
And when the cloud tarried over the tabernacle many days, then the sons of Israel kept the charge of Jehovah, and did not pull up stakes.
And when the cloud was over the tabernacle many days, by the mouth of Jehovah they encamped, and by the mouth of Jehovah they pulled up stakes.
And so when the cloud was there from evening until morning, when the cloud was taken up in the morning, then they pulled up stakes. Whether by day or by night, when the cloud was taken up, then they pulled up stakes.
Whether two days, or a month, or days, when the cloud tarried over the tabernacle, to remain over it, the sons of Israel remained in camp, and did not pull up stakes. And when it was lifted up, they pulled up stakes.
By the mouth of Jehovah they encamped, and by the mouth of Jehovah they pulled up stakes. They kept the charge of Jehovah, by the mouth of Jehovah, by the hand of Moses.”
While I’m sure there were some in Israel who always doubted when or if God was telling them to “journey” or “camp”, I know that I should put away all doubt and unbelief for the Lord’s guidance is always clear if our hearts are fully surrendered to him, we can always trust that “God is light, and no darkness is in Him, none! “ (1 John 1:5) R.A. Torrey says just that, “Let us settle in our minds that God’s guidance is clear guidance.” Can it really be that simple? The answer is an astounding YES! If your heart is totally surrendered to His will you will find that God delights to lead his children one step at a time, just like He did Israel; “a few days they abode and a few days they journeyed”. Not sure of the next move? Don’t waste time running about the camp panicked, knocking on everyone’s tent flap asking what are we supposed to do, while wringing your hands, just camp a while and abide in the vine, when the cloud moves you move!

No comments:

Post a Comment